Rector: Konstantin Bondarenko, Ph.D. in history, associate professor, The Republic of Belarus Honored Worker of Education
First pro-rector: Dmitry Lavrinovich, Doctor of Historical Sciences, Docent
Pro-rector for education: Nikolay Buzuk, Ph.D. in philology, associate professor
Pro-rector for education: Vladimir Yasev, Ph.D. in political science, associate professor
Pro-rector for scientific work: Victor Starostenko, Ph.D. in philosophy
Pro-rector for administration and maintenance: Vladimir Karmyzov
Acting director of The continuing education and upgrade training college: Igor Shardyko, Ph.D. in History
THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSITY
The official date of the Mogilev Teachers' School foundation is the 1 July, 1913. The opening ceremony, held by its first director, Ph.D. in theology, Vladimir Tychinin, took place on 1 October, 1913. The first graduation of 33 teachers took place in 1916. 8 teachers worked at the School then.
In December 1918 The Teachers' School was reorganized into Teachers-Training College and received a status of higher educational establishment. It trained specialists in social sciences and history, physics and mathematics, biology, literature and arts, pre-school workers. In 1934 the college departments were reorganized into faculties of history, geography, language and literature (Russian and Byelorussian departments). In 1937 The Teachers-Training College opened the Teachers' School with two-year course of study. The post-graduate studies department was organized in 1938. This period is characterized by the considerable improvement of the College equipment. In 1931 it received a three-storied building with well-equipped classrooms and laboratories. A gymnasium, a shooting gallery, four-storied residence hall were built a little later.
More than 2000 students studied and 69 teachers worked at the College in 1941. Over 1200 pedagogical workers were trained during 10 years before World War II. The Mogilev State Teachers-Training College renewed its activity in 1944 consisting of three faculties: history, geography, and language and literature. 570 students started their daytime training and 357 studied by correspondence. 16 teachers worked at the College then, 4 of them had academic degrees. In 1946 the number of students reached its prewar level, and from the middle 1950s the College became one of the largest higher schools in Belarus with over 3000 students and 119 teachers including 39 associate professors and PhDs. New faculties and departments opened in time: the faculty of physics and mathematics — in 1949; the faculty of pedagogy and methods of primary education — in 1958; the faculty of preschool education (today the faculty of pedagogy and psychology of childhood) — in 1978; the faculty of military service and sports (today the faculty of physical training) — in 1981; the biology faculty (the faculty of natural sciences since 1997) — in 1990; the faculty of pre-university training and professional orientation — in 1997; the faculty of foreign languages — in 1999. A new residence hall was built in 1959 with a health centre and a dining hall, and a new gymnasium was constructed soon afterward. The biological studying centre for students' practical education was opened in the suburb of Mogilev.
In 1970 the College received a new five-storied educational building in Kosmonavtov Street. It has classrooms, laboratories, gymnasia, a library, a dining hall. The library has grown significantly and now contains about 500 000 volumes.
In 1978 the College was given a name of Arkadiy Kuleshov — the classic of Belarusian literature, and native Mogilev region resident. In the mid 1980s the College became a three-times winner of the All-Union competition among teachers-training colleges and was awarded by The Red Banner, left at the college forever after the third winning.
In 1997 the College passed the state accreditation and was reorganized into Mogilev State A.Kuleshov University.
THE UNIVERSITY TODAY
Today Mogilev State A. Kuleshov University has 3 educational buildings, 3 sport complexes, a stadium, a training-rehabilitation centre, the biological studying centre "Lyubuzh", 3 residence halls, 2 dining halls, the Health prophylactic centre, the cafe "Labirint", several museums, the laboratories of printing, information technologies, educational television, over 100 classrooms. The university has 10 faculties, providing training specialists in 31 specialities, as well as the faculty of additional training that prepare students for cultural and educational activities with children at schools and other educational centres. Pedagogical and research work is realized at 38 departments where over 450 specialists work. Among them about 200 have academic degrees, including 25 doctors and professors. There are more than 7600 students, 4300 of them are daytime students.
During a long period of time the University had been developing as poly-pedagogical. It trains teachers of almost all subjects of secondary schools curricula, and specialists for pre-school establishments. Since 1998 the University trains specialists for other branches of economy. Research work of the University scientists is realized mainly in accordance with state programs, orders of the Ministry of education and the National Academy of Sciences. Such problems are being worked at as "The continuing training of a teacher under conditions of a teaching complex", "Magnetosphere of the Earth", "Thin layers optics", "Archaeological monuments of Belarus", "The past and the present in the literary process", "The problems of human organism adaptation to factors of external surroundings", and others.
The students and the teachers of all faculties have every opportunities of creative self-expression at the literary association "Natkhnenne", at numerous clubs. The University publishes the scientific and methodical magazine "The news of Mogilev State A. Kuleshov University" and the newspaper "The University Bulletin".